Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Okeover, or Oakover, a small parish of scattered houses, on the west bank of the Dove, two and a half miles NW of Ashbourne, contains only 67 inhabitants, and about 800 acres of tithe free land, all belonging to HC Okeover, Esq, who resides at the Hall, which was rebuilt during the last century, and had formerly an extensive deer park. It is built chiefly of brick, with an Ionic portico in the centre.
The parish is remarkable for the ancient barrows of Hallsteds and Arbour Close, two square entrenchments of stone, supposed by antiquaries to have been formed by the Romans."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'An Account of the Family of Okeover of Okeover, Co. Stafford'
by Hon. George Wrottesley
Published 1904 in 'Collections for a History of Staffordshire'
The population of Okeover parish was as follows:
1801 -- 42
1831 -- 62
1841 -- 67
"The Church, All Saints, is a neat Gothic structure, near the Hall, and has many monuments of the Okeover family, to whom this manor has belonged since the time of the Conquest.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of HC Okeover, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev Henry J Goodwin, of Mappleton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The register of the church of All Saints commences in 1851. The original registers for the period 1759-1930 (Bapts), 1831-1940 (Mar) & 1759-1955 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1759-1801 & 1850-1922 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1737-1855 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
You can see pictures of Okeover which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK158481 (Lat/Lon: 53.029937, -1.765864), Okeover which are provided by:
Okeover parish became part of Ashbourne Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.