Towns & Parishes
"Onecote is a scattered village, township, and chapelry (to Leek & Lowe parish), containing 438 souls and about 5000 acres, in the manor of Bradnop, five miles E by S of Leek, adjoining the Mixon copper mine, which has not been worked during the last 30 years."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Onecote township was as follows:
1831 -- 456
1841 -- 438
"The chapel (St Luke) is a small stone edifice, which was built in 1751.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Leek, and incumbency of the Rev. Jeremiah Barnes, MA, of Leek.
Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1822"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
A view of St Luke's Church (1).
A view of St Luke's Church (2).
The church of St Luke, Onecote, was a chapelry of Leek & Lowe parish, details of which can be found on the Leek and Lowe parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Luke, Onecote, commences in 1755. The original registers for the period 1755-1883 (Bapts), 1863-1982 (Mar) & 1755-1955 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1782-1835 (Bapts & Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The chapelry became part of Leek Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 20th July 2003, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2003]