Towns & Parishes
"Patshull, or Patteshull, anciently called Peccleshala, is a parish occupying a western point of Staffordshire, which projects into Shropshire, six miles W by N of Wolverhampton. It has about 1850 acres of land, and 177 inhabitants. The village comprises a few cottages, prettily situated on Burnill Green, a farm house, occupied by Mr Davis, and the Pigot Arms Inn, occupied by Miss Whiston. On the borders of the two counties is a fine sheet of water, called Snowdon Pool, and about half a mile E of the Green is Patshull Hall, an extensive mansion, picturesquely seated in a beautiful park of 341 acres, adorned with a fine serpentine expanse of water, called Patshull Pool. This and the adjoining estate of Pattingham were sold by Sir John Astley, for £100,000, to the late Lord Pigot, whose celebrated diamond paid for them. They were the seat and property of Sir Robert Pigot, Bart, but have lately been sold to the Earl of Dartmouth, whose son, Viscount Lewisham, MP, resides at the Hall. The Earl is also lord of the manor."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'A History of Codsall, Patshull & Pattingham.
An Abstract from Victoria County History of Staffordshire, Vol XX'
by MW Greenslade
Published 1989, by Staffordshire Libraries, Arts & Archives, Stafford.
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of Patshull, St Mary has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Patshull parish was as follows:
1831 - 132
1841 - 117
"St Mary's Church, Patshull, is a chaste fabric in the Italian style, built by Sir John Astley, to whose memory it has a tomb, bearing recumbent effigies of himself and lady. Here is another tomb in memory of Sir Richard Astley, who is represented at the head of a squadron of horse, and on each side of the monument are figures of his two wives, in sitting postures, upon pedestals. The Earl of Dartmouth is patron of the perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev. W George Greenstreet, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish registers of St Mary, Patshull commence in 1559. The original registers for the period 1559-1990 (Bapts), 1770-1989 (Mar) & 1559-1988 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1656-1874 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Patshull parish became part of Shiffnall Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000]