Towns & Parishes
"Pattingham, is a pleasant village on the western verge of Staffordshire, six miles W of Wolverhampton, beautifully situated in full view of the Wrekin, and the long range of Shropshire hills. Its parish comprises two townships, Pattingham, containing about 2700 acres and 802 inhabitants, and Rudge, which has 1560 acres and 101 souls and is in Shropshire. The adjacent manors of Pattingham and Patshull, and most of the soil, have lately been purchased by the Earl of Dartmouth.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Nurton is a hamlet in Pattingham township, five miles W of Wolverhampton."
'A History of Codsall, Patshull & Pattingham.
An Abstract from Victoria County History of Staffordshire, Vol XX'
by MW Greenslade
Published 1989, by Staffordshire Libraries, Arts & Archives, Stafford.
'Pattingham. A Guide & a Brief History of the Parish'
Published 1969, by Pattingham Parish Council
Second Edition published 1981.
'Around Pattingham & Wombourne in Old Photographs'
by Mary Griffiths, Peter Leigh & Mary Mills
Published 1992, by Alan Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
'Tettenhall & Pattingham. (The Archive Photograph Series)'
by Alex Brew
Published 1997, by Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of Pattingham, St Chad has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of the Staffordshire part of Pattingham parish was as follows:
1831 - 817
1841 - 802
A surname index of the 1851 census of Pattingham parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"St Chad's Church, Pattingham, is an ancient structure, which, except the steeple and the outer walls, was destroyed by fire in 1677, together with several houses. It was soon afterwards repaired. The tower, which has evident traces of a spire, contains six bells, dated 1724, and a clock with chimes,
which play every three hours. The chancel is an excellent rough specimen of the early English style. The arches on the north side of the nave are circular, and there is a good decorated window at the east end of the south aisle.
The Earl of Dartmouth is patron of the vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. W George Greenstreet, MA, who is also incumbent of Patshull."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish registers of St Chad, Pattingham commence in 1559. The original registers for the period 1559-1918 (Bapts), 1559-1936 (Mar) & 1559-1889 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1874 (with gaps 1854-55 & 1858-59) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of St Chad for the period 1559-1812 was published in 1934 by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the registers of St Chad for the period 1813-1874 (baptisms only) has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Pattingham from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Pattingham parish became part of Seisdon Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 12th September 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]