Towns & Parishes
"Penn is a large parish, comprising 3890 acres, and the two townships and villages of Upper and Lower Penn, the former of which has 716 and the latter 226 inhabitants. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor, and owner of a large portion of the soil. The rest belongs to the following resident freeholders, JW Sparrow, Esq, of Penn Hall; the Rev William Dalton, of Lloyd House; Robert Thacker, Esq, of Muchall Hall; Sidney Cartwright, Esq, of the Leasowes, and a few smaller owners.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Upper or Over Penn is a large pleasant village on the Stourbridge road, two miles S by W of Wolverhampton, containing Penn Hall, and several other neat mansions, and commanding extensive prospects of the surrounding country.
Lower Penn is a small irregularly built village, near the canal, two miles W of Upper Penn, and nearly four miles WSW of Wolverhampton."
'Out and About in Penn & District'
by Angus Dunphy
Published 1990, by Angus Dunphy, Dinas Powys.
'Over and Nether Penn and District'
by Angus Dunphy
Published 1994, by Angus Dunphy, Dinas Powys.
'Penn in Old Photographs'
by Elizabeth A Rees
Published 1990, by Alan Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
The population of Penn parish was as follows:
1831 - 863
1841 - 942
A surname index of the 1851 census of Penn parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"St Bartholomew's Church, Penn, was repaired in 1765, when the tower of brick was erected, and again in 1799, when the chancel was rebuilt of brick. It was thoroughly repaired in 1845, when 150 additional sittings were obtained, making the total number 492.
The Bishop of Lichfield is patron of the vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Moore, MA, of Eccleshall."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish registers of St Bartholomew, Penn commence in 1569. The original registers for the period 1569-1876 (Bapts), 1569-1845 (Mar) & 1569-1856 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1664-1852 (with gaps 1667-70, 1770-73 & 1810-12) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of St Bartholomew for the period 1570-1754 (Bapts, Mar & Bur) (Part 1) was published in 1921 by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the registers of St Bartholomew for the period 1748-1812 (Bapts), 1754-1812 (Mar), & 1754-1812 (Bur) (Part 2) was published in 1995 jointly by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society and the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Penn parish became part of Seisdon Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000]