"Pipe Ridware is a small ancient village and parish, on the north side of the Trent, six miles N of Lichfield. It contains only about 100 inhabitants, and 770 acres of land, forming a flat grazing district. This is the first of the three Ridwares mentioned in Domesday book, and it derived the first part of its name from its early possessors, who resided in the ancient manor house, of which nothing now remains but some vestiges of the moat, near an extensive orchard. The present hall, now occupied by a farmer, was built by John Whitehall, Esq, who purchased the demesne, in 1677. Lord Hatherton is the principal owner and mesne lord of the manor, but Lord Leigh is lord paramount of both this manor, and Hamstall & Mavesyn Ridwares. Gouldhay and Quinton farms belong to TH Parker, Esq, and Woodhouse farm to Mrs Mary Webb." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The Parish Church, St James, was a small and very ancient structure, but was rebuilt in 1840. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Chancellor of Lichfield Cathedral, and incumbency of the Rev Thomas Bonney, MA, of Rugeley." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the church of St James commences in 1561. The original registers for the period 1561-1982 (Bapts), 1561-1982 (Mar) & 1561-1998 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1659-1868 (with gaps 1663-74, 1690-92, 1745-46, 1837-48, 1850-52 & 1857) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the parish registers for the period 1571-1812 (Bapts), 1565-1812 (Mar), & 1561-1812 (Bur) was published in 1905 by Staffordshire Parish Register Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.