Towns & Parishes
"Quarnford, the north-western township and chapelry of Alstonfield parish, comprises 665 souls and about 2000 acres. It has two collieries, and includes the village of Flash, seated on an eminence among the moorland hills, near the Buxton Road, and the junction of the three counties of Stafford, Derby and Chester, eight miles N by E of Leek and five miles SW of Buxton.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Hollinsclough, two miles NW of Longnor, is a village and township, in Quarnford chapelry, betwixt and near the sources of the rivers Dove and Manifold. "
The population of Quarnford township in 1841 was 665, and that of Hollinsclough township, 400.
"Quarnford Church, Flash Chapel, was built on half an acre of land, given by Sir Henry Harpur in 1744, and is a neat stone building, with a small tower and bell.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir JH Crewe, Bart, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm Chawner, BA, who is also incumbent of Hollinsclough, where he has a good parsonage house.
Hollinsclough has a small chapel of ease, erected in 1840 by Sir George Crewe."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of Quarnford chapelry, Flash Chapel, was a chapelry of Alstonfield parish, details of which can be found on the Alstonfield parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of Quarnford, Flash Chapel, commences in 1744. The original registers for the period 1744-1847 (Bapts) & 1744-1870 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1795-1864 (with gaps 1859-63) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The registers of Flash Methodist Chapel, Baptisms for the period 1837-1973, are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The chapelry became part of Leek Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]