"Ranton, or Ronton, is a small scattered village, five miles W of Stafford, comprising within its parish the scattered hamlets of Extolls, Long Compton, Park Nook, and including 320 inhabitants, and about 2670 acres of land, belonging chiefly to the Earl of Lichfield, and Francis Eld, Esq, and the former is lord of the manor, which, at the time of the Norman Conquest, was held by Goderick, a Saxon nobleman, and afterwards by the Noels and Harcourts. Swynfen Jones, Esq, and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. About a mile W of the village is Ranton Abbey, an extra parochial liberty of 700 acres belonging to the Earl of Lichfield. The ancient abbey was founded by Robert Fitz-Noel, in the reign of Henry II, for regular canons of the order of St Augustine. Considerable remains of the abbey are still standing, including a lofty well-built tower, and the outer walls of the church. The abbey liberty contains 28 inhabitants and the Abbey House which is the seat of ED Moore, Esq." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The Parish Church, All Saints, is a small ancient structure. It has a tower and two bells, and was repaired and a gallery erected in 1840. The vicarage is in the patronage of the Earl of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev James Henry Theodosius, BA, who resides at Stafford." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the church of All Saints commences in 1655. The original registers for the period 1655-1993 (Bapts), 1655-1984 (Mar) & 1655-1993 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1868 (with gaps 1840-54) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1655-1812 was published by Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1954, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Ranton which are provided by: