Towns & Parishes
"Rolleston (also known as Roulston) is an ancient village on a rivulet, about a mile S of the Dove, and four miles NNW of Burton-upon-Trent, comprising within its parish the two townships of Rolleston and Anslow, the former containing 2020 acres and 519 souls, and the latter 1920 acres and 278 souls. Of the land, about 930 acres were allotted from Needwood Forest and include Rollaston Park, which belongs ecclesiastically to Tutbury. Sir Oswald Mosley, Bart, who resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion between the park and the village, is the principal landowner and lord of the manor, which comprises the whole parish, and was anciently held by a family of its own name, from whom it passed to the family of Mosley.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Needwood House, about four miles W of Burton-on Trent and SW of Rolleston, is the seat of Captain Tennant, and is in this parish, as also are East Lodge, the seat of Tonman Mosley, Esq, and Craythorn, the seat of Miss Thornewill.
Anslow township extends into Needwood Forest, and includes the hamlets of Anslow and Stockley Ridding, about three miles SW of Rolleston; part of Callingwood, three and a half miles W of Burton, and many scattered houses, on the eastern side of the now highly cultivated forest."
'History of Tutbury and Rolleston'
by Charles Haywood Underhill
Published 1949, by Tresises, Burton-upon-Trent.
A transcript of the monumental inscriptions of St Mary, Rolleston has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Rolleston parish was as follows:
1831 -- 866
1841 -- 797
"Rolleston Church, dedicated to St Mary, is an ancient structure, partly in the Norman style, and was thoroughly repaired about 25 years ago. The rectory is in the patronage of Sir Oswald Mosley, and incumbency of the Rev PP Mosley, rural dean of Tutbury.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1569. The original registers for the period 1569-1958 (Bapts), 1569-1979 (Mar) & 1569-1982 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1662-1865 (with gaps 1670-71, 1673, 1747-51, 1846-47, 1851 & 1856-63) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Rolleston from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Rolleston parish became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 14th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]