"The Parish Church, St Giles, stands at the head of Rowley village, and was an ancient, deformed and dilapidated structure, but in 1840 it was taken down, and the present neat and spacious fabric erected on its site.
The perpetual curacy was annexed to Clent vicarage till 1842, when it was made a separate benefice.The Lord Chancellor is the patron and the Rev. W Crump, incumbent.
In 1844, this large and now populous parish was divided ecclesiastically into two district parishes. The lower part of the parish, lying west of Dudley and Netherton Canal, now forms the district parish of Reddal Hill, for which a neat and commodious church, St Luke, was erected in 1847, in the early English style of architecture.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Crown and Bishop of Worcester alternately, and incumbency of the Rev JJ Clarke, BA.
There are, in various parts of the parish, about a dozen chapels belonging to Baptists, and the Old and New Connexion, and Primitive Methodists, mostly erected in the last ten years. At Gosty Hill is a small chapel, built in 1840, and attended by persons who have lately separated from the church."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The church built in 1840 was found to be unsafe in 1900 and condemned. A third church was erected on the site in 1904 but on 18th June, 1913 was burned down in an arson attack. One theory blamed rioting suffragettes for the fire but another blamed striking steelworkers from Coombs Wood, angered by lack of support by the vicar for their cause. The present church, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and eight bells, was erected in 1923.
Postcard of St Giles Church c1925.