"The church, or parochial chapel, (St Lawrence), is supposed to have been founded before Leek Church, and a fruitless attempt was made about 20 years ago to establish it as a parish church. It was anciently called the Chapel in the Wilderness and was thoroughly repaired in 1848.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Leek, and incumbency of the Rev. George Mouncey, of Fairfield, Derbyshire, for whom the Rev James Turner, MA, of Meerbrook, officiates."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Lawrence, Rushton Spencer, was a chapelry of Leek & Lowe parish, details of which can be found on the Leek and Lowe parish page.
Rushton Spencer was formed into a new ecclesiastical parish in 1865.