"Seighford is a scattered village, three miles W by N of Stafford, seated on a pleasant declivity, above a small brook which flows eastward from Latford pool to the river Sow. Its parish contains the hamlets of Aston, Doxey, and Derrington, from one to one and a half miles E, Coton Clanford, one mile S, and Great & Little Bridgeford, three and a half miles NE of Stafford. It forms a highly cultivated district, containing 803 inhabitants, and 3830 acres of land. Francis Eld, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. He resides at Seighford Hall, an ancient house with modern wings, on the west side of the village. The other old halls in the parish are occupied by farmers, but TD Weaver, Esq, has a neat modern residence at Doxey.
Coton Clanford, on the south side of the parish, is noted as the birthplace of the Rev William Wollaston, who was born in 1650, and spent the latter part of his life in London, where he died, in 1724, after publishing a variety of works. Of his principal treatise, entitled 'The Religion of Nature Delineated', upwards of 10,000 copies were sold within a few years of its publication, though it exposed him to the censure of many zealous christians."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]