Towns & Parishes
"Seighford is a scattered village, three miles W by N of Stafford, seated on a pleasant declivity, above a small brook which flows eastward from Latford pool to the river Sow. Its parish contains the hamlets of Aston, Doxey, and Derrington, from one to one and a half miles E, Coton Clanford, one mile S, and Great & Little Bridgeford, three and a half miles NE of Stafford. It forms a highly cultivated district, containing 803 inhabitants, and 3830 acres of land. Francis Eld, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. He resides at Seighford Hall, an ancient house with modern wings, on the west side of the village. The other old halls in the parish are occupied by farmers, but TD Weaver, Esq, has a neat modern residence at Doxey.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Coton Clanford, on the south side of the parish, is noted as the birthplace of the Rev William Wollaston, who was born in 1650, and spent the latter part of his life in London, where he died, in 1724, after publishing a variety of works. Of his principal treatise, entitled 'The Religion of Nature Delineated', upwards of 10,000 copies were sold within a few years of its publication, though it exposed him to the censure of many zealous christians."
The population of Seighford parish was as follows:
1831 -- 898
1841 -- 803
"The Parish Church, St Chad, was partly rebuilt of brick about 100 years ago, and contains many neat mural monuments. It has a brick tower, five bells and a clock.
The vicarage is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev Joseph Thompson.
Derrington Church, St Matthew, is a neat structure in the early English style, built in 1847, by the Rev Charles Smith Royds, of Haughton, who is patron of the curacy, now held by the Rev EJ Rathbone.
There is a small Wesleyan Chapel at Little Bridgeford, built in 1850."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of St Chad commences in 1561. The original registers for the period 1561-1879 (Bapts), 1561-1945 (Mar) & 1561-1925 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1812 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1850 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1561-1812 was published by Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1978, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Seighford parish became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 4th June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]