Towns & Parishes
"Sheen is a small village and parish, on the western acclivity of Dove-dale, three and a half miles S by E of Longnor, containing 402 inhabitants, and about 3000 acres of land, all comprised in the manor of Alton, but belonging to Alex. Jas. Beresford Hope, Esq, MP, and many smaller proprietors. The face of the country is here wild and romantic, but the soil about the village is fertile and well enclosed.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Brund, and several scattered hamlets and farms, are all in this parish."
A transcription of the monumental inscriptions of the church of St Luke, Sheen has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Sheen parish was as follows:
1831 -- 368
1841 -- 402
"Sheen Church, dedicated to St Luke, was an ancient structure, but the nave was rebuilt in 1829, and the whole fabric was repaired, and the chancel rebuilt, in 1851. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of AJB Hope, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev Henry Pritchard, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Luke commences in 1595. The original registers for the period 1595-1865 (Bapts), 1595-1836 (Mar) & 1595-1812 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1756-1801 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The original registers for the period 1813-date (Bur) remain with the incumbent.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1852 (with gaps 1795-1800) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Sheen parish became part of Leek Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 4th June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000]