Towns & Parishes
"Sheriff Hales is a scattered village, eight miles WNW of Brewood, and three miles N of Shiffnall. Its parish extends into Shropshire, and has 1019 inhabitants, and 7040 acres of land, of which 4130 acres and 431 souls are in Shropshire, and 2910 acres and 688 souls in the Staffordshire part of the parish, which includes the village of Sheriff-Hales and the hamlets of Weston Heath and Little Chatwell. The Duke of Sutherland is owner of nearly all of the parish, and lord of the manor."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
In 1895 Sheriff Hales parish was transferred from Staffordshire to Shropshire and the majority of records relating to the parish are now indexed under Shropshire. Details of the available transcripts can be found on the Shropshire County pages.
A transcript of the monumental inscriptions of St Mary, Sheriff Hales has been published by the Shropshire Family History Society.
The population of Sheriff Hales parish was as follows:
1831 -- 914
1841 -- 1019
"The Parish Church is a neat stone fabric, dedicated to St Mary, and seated on an eminence above a small stream that divides it from Shropshire.
The vicarage is in the patronage of the Duke of Sutherland, and incumbency of the Rev John Hinckley, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of St Mary commences in 1557. The original registers for the period 1557-1972 are deposited at Shropshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1670-1859 (with gaps 1672-77, 1679-93, 1726-30 & 1741-44) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of St Mary for the period 1557-1812 has been published by Shropshire Family History Society.
Note that extracts from the registers in the International Genealogical Index (IGI) are listed under Shropshire.
Sheriff Hales parish became part of Shiffnall Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 11th April 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000, 2001]