GENUKI Home page
Stafford Stafford   GENUKI Contents GENUKI
Contents
 

Stafford Christ Church

"Christ Church is a small neat cruciform structure, of mixed architecture, in Foregate Street, erected in 1838, for a district which embraces the northern part of the town, in St Mary's parish. It has 600 sittings, the interior is neatly fitted up, and has a small organ.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Rector, and incumbency of the Rev Thos. Harrison, MA. Mr S Yarwood is the organist, and John Gimbert, sexton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Church History

Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish, formed on 13th December, 1844, from part of St Mary's parish. The church was a building of white brick, in the Gothic style, and consisted of an apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower, containing one bell.
The church was considerably enlarged in 1863, and in 1886-7 it was refloored and reseated.
A mission church, St Aiden, was built next to the vicarage, in Marston Road.
Christ Church was demolished in 1979 and the congregation moved to a building in Rowley Street which is shared with the Methodist Church.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Registers
The register of Christ Church, Stafford, commenced in 1839. The original registers for the period 1839-1976 (Bapts), 1845-1979 (Mar) & 1839-1892 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1839-1872 (Bapts), 1849-1851 (Mar) & 1839-1871 (Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.

Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Stafford can be found on the Stafford page.

Return to top of page
Valid HTML 4.0!

[Last updated: 5th February 2001, Mike Harbach.  © 2001]