St Chad's is a small parish in the centre of the town. The church, the oldest ecclesiastical building in Stafford, is of stone, in mixed styles, and consists of a chancel, Norman style nave, aisles, transepts and an embattled central tower, which was rebuilt in 1873-4.
The original aisles were destroyed in 1622, the arcades built up, and the whole of the walls and ceilings of the portico that remained plastered over. The church was partially restored in 1855, and in the course of this work, a series of interlacing arches of Norman work was uncovered on each side of the chancel, and a sculptured Norman archway discovered between the nave and the tower.
In 1856 the chancel roof was replaced, in memory of Isaac Walton, and the nave was restored in 1874, in memory of Thomas Salt. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1874-5, and a north transept was added in 1886.