"Standon is a small but pleasant village, near the summit of a lofty eminence, four and a half miles N by W of Eccleshall, and six miles W of Stone. Its parish is a fertile district, including the village of Bowers, a quarter of a mile N of the church, and many scattered farm houses, but it contains only 382 inhabitants, and 2541 acres of land. It has a small railway station, at Cotes Heath. The principal owner, and lord of the manor, is Thomas Salt, Esq, but General Vyse, Thomas Twemlow, and JH & W Salt, Esqrs, have estates here."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]