Towns & Parishes
"Standon is a small but pleasant village, near the summit of a lofty eminence, four and a half miles N by W of Eccleshall, and six miles W of Stone. Its parish is a fertile district, including the village of Bowers, a quarter of a mile N of the church, and many scattered farm houses, but it contains only 382 inhabitants, and 2541 acres of land. It has a small railway station, at Cotes Heath. The principal owner, and lord of the manor, is Thomas Salt, Esq, but General Vyse, Thomas Twemlow, and JH & W Salt, Esqrs, have estates here."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'The History of Standon: Parish, Manour and Church, with 200 Years of Registers'
by Edward Salt
Published 1888, by Cornish Bros, Birmingham.
The population of Standon parish was as follows:
1831 -- 420
1841 -- 382
"The Parish Church, All Saints, was rebuilt in 1847, except the middle aisle, and the tower, which contains five bells.
The rectory is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev Joseph Salt."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Postcard of All Saints Church c1903.
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of All Saints commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1877 (Bapts), 1558-1863 (Mar) & 1558-1896 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1679-1856 (with gaps 1856 Bapts & Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1558-1812 was published by Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1902 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Standon parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd May 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2010]