Towns & Parishes
"Statfold is a remarkably small parish and manor, three miles NE of Tamworth, containing only five houses, 45 inhabitants, and 450 acres of land, all belonging to Stanley Pipe Wolferstan, Esq, who resides in the Hall, a handsome brick manor, erected in 1571, and having an observatory which commands an extensive prospect. The Wolferstans obtained this manor in marriage with the heiress of the Stanleys, in 1590.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The two farms are occupied by the owner, and James Chiswell is the farming bailiff."
"The church is a small neglected structure, containing some ancient monuments, but it has no minister, the parish being too small for the maintenance of one."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The church, All Saints, which stood in the grounds of the Hall, was used as a mortuary chapel by the Wolferstan family for many years. It was restored and refitted in 1906 for use as a parish church.
Church of England Registers
Location or existance of any register is unknown.
Statfold parish became part of Tamworth Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 4th June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]