"The parish of Stoke-upon-Trent comprises about two thirds of the populous district called the Staffordshire Potteries, including all the towns and villages lying south of Burslem and east of Newcastle-under-Lyme. Though now containing upwards of 55,000 inhabitants and about 12,000 acres of land, it was formerly of much greater extent, until it was reduced by an Act of Parliament, passed in 1807, entitled 'An Act for separating the Chapelries and Chapels of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Burslem, Whitmore, Bucknall-cum-Bagnall, and Norton-in-the-Moors from the Rectory and Parish Church of Stoke-upon-Trent, and for making them five distinct rectories'.
Stoke-upon-Trent, the capital, although not the largest town of the borough and parish to which it gives name, is pleasantly situated in the township or liberty of Penkhull-with-Boothen, in a picturesque valley, on the banks of the River Trent and the Trent & Mersey Canal, one and a half miles E of Newcastle-under-Lyme. What was properly called Stoke, until about 70 years ago, consisted of only five houses, but the name is now applied to the town, situate at a short distance to the west, under the lofty hill on which stands the large village of Penkhull, which appears to be one of the oldest seats of the earthenware manufacture, for it had three brown ware potteries in 1600. Here are several of the largest porcelain and earthenware manufacturies in the Potteries, and a commodious range of warehouses and wharfs on the Trent & Mersey Canal. Here also are the head offices and station of the North Staffordshire Railway
The other principal villages in the township of Penkhull-with-Boothen, and their distances from Stoke are:
Boothen, one mile S, belonging chiefly to Sir Thomas FF Boughey, Bart.
Basford, one mile NW where there are extensive brick and tile works.
Hartshill, one mile W where there is a handsome new church.
Oak Hill, one mile S, the seat of MD Hollins, Esq.
Trent Vale, one and a half miles S, which has several handsome villas, and extends to Hanford Bridge, and was formerly called Black Lion.
Cliffe Ville, half a mile W, the seat of FW Tomlinson, Esq.
Fenton, in the two manors and liberties of Fenton Culvert and Fenton Vivian, forms a populous suburb, extending from Stoke to Longton, with many neat houses and large china and earthenware manufactories, and the hamlets of Lane Delph, Foley, and Sideaway.
Botteslow, is a small liberty, about two miles SE of Hanley, with a number of scattered farmhouses and three collieries."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]