Towns & Parishes
"Stonnall is a picturesque village, comprising the hamlets of Upper and Lower Stonnall, two and a half miles SW of Shenstone, and now forming a separate ecclesiastical district, including six adjacent hamlets, containing about 1000 souls. Near Over Stonnall, and upon the same hill, are vestiges of an ancient fortification called Castle Hill, or Old Fort. The lines of a double ditch, encompassing an area 160 paces in diameter, may be distinctly traced, but whether it is a British work, or Roman, is unknown.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
When the great road between London and Chester passed through Over Stonnall, it had two good inns, called the Swan and the Welch Harp, now farmhouses, and it still has two alehouses bearing the same signs."
A transcription of the Monumental Inscriptions of St Peter, Stonnall, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Stonnall Church, St Peter, was erected as a chapel of ease to Shenstone parish in 1822. In 1843, a beautiful stone chancel was added. The east window is enriched with stained glass, representing Moses lifting up the brazen serpent. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Vicar of Shenstone, and incumbency of the Rev James Downes, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Stonnall, St Peter, was a chapelry of Shenstone parish, details of which can be found on the Shenstone parish page.
Stonnall became a parish in 1845.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Peter, Stonnall commences in 1823. The original registers for the period 1823-1964 (Bapts), 1846-1984 (Mar) and 1823-1929 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1846-1937 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1823-1864 (Bapts & Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Stonnall from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Stonnall formed part of Shenstone parish which became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 14th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]