"Stowe is a small village near the Uttoxeter road, seven miles NE by E of Stafford, comprising within its parish about 7080 acres of land, but only 1267 souls, in the villages and hamlets of Amerton, Drointon, Grindley, Great & Little Haywood, Hixon and Stowe, four of which are partly in Colwich parish. Stowe parish also includes part of Chartley, one mile N of Stowe, the seat of Earl Ferrers, who is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil.
Amerton hamlet is more than half a mile W of Stowe, and has 120 inhabitants.
Grindley hamlet, two and a half miles NE of Stowe, has about 100 inhabitants.
Drointon, one mile E of Stowe, has 162 souls, of whom 34 are in Colwich parish.
Hixon, a considerable village on a pleasant declivity, six miles NW of Rugeley has many old thatched houses, and formerly had a pillory. In 1841, it had 625 inhabitants, of whom 184 were in Colwich and 441 in Stowe parish. Below Hixon, in the Trent valley, is Shirleywich, where salt is made from the briny springs, in the adjacent parish of Weston. About a mile SW of Hixon is Wychdon Lodge, the handsome seat of William Moore, Esq, banker.
Great and Little Haywood are mostly in Colwich parish and details can be found on the Colwich
Chartley, a hamlet and manor, one mile n of Stowe, is the property of Earl Ferrers, and was formerly the principal seat of his family. Most of Chartley formed the extra-parochial liberty of Chartley Holme and details can be found on the Chartley Holme
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]