Towns & Parishes
"Stowe is a small village near the Uttoxeter road, seven miles NE by E of Stafford, comprising within its parish about 7080 acres of land, but only 1267 souls, in the villages and hamlets of Amerton, Drointon, Grindley, Great & Little Haywood, Hixon and Stowe, four of which are partly in Colwich parish. Stowe parish also includes part of Chartley, one mile N of Stowe, the seat of Earl Ferrers, who is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Amerton hamlet is more than half a mile W of Stowe, and has 120 inhabitants.
Grindley hamlet, two and a half miles NE of Stowe, has about 100 inhabitants.
Drointon, one mile E of Stowe, has 162 souls, of whom 34 are in Colwich parish.
Hixon, a considerable village on a pleasant declivity, six miles NW of Rugeley has many old thatched houses, and formerly had a pillory. In 1841, it had 625 inhabitants, of whom 184 were in Colwich and 441 in Stowe parish. Below Hixon, in the Trent valley, is Shirleywich, where salt is made from the briny springs, in the adjacent parish of Weston. About a mile SW of Hixon is Wychdon Lodge, the handsome seat of William Moore, Esq, banker.
Great and Little Haywood are mostly in Colwich parish and details can be found on the Colwich page.
Chartley, a hamlet and manor, one mile n of Stowe, is the property of Earl Ferrers, and was formerly the principal seat of his family. Most of Chartley formed the extra-parochial liberty of Chartley Holme and details can be found on the Chartley Holme page."
The population of Stowe parish was as follows:
1831 -- 1283
1841 -- 1267
"Stowe Church, St John, is an ancient building, formerly distinguished by numerous monuments in honour of the noble family of Devereux, but only one of them now remains, bearing recumbent effigies of the first Viscount Hereford and his two wives. This nobleman gained great renown as an admiral in the wars against France, in the reign of Henry VIII. He was grandson of the first Lord Ferrers, of the Devereux family, and founder of the house of Chartley.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, held with that of Gayton, in the patronage of Mrs Mould and incumbency of the Rev William Hides, BA"
Hixon Church, St Peter, is a handsome structure in the decorated style, and was finished and consecrated in 1848. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev Henry Stratton, MA.
The Independents have a chapel at Hixon, built in 1842."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A view of St John's Church, Stowe (1).
A view of St John's Church, Stowe (2).
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St John the Baptist commences in 1575. The original registers for the period 1575-1943 (Bapts), 1575-1837 (Mar), & 1575-1866 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1679-1867 (with gaps 1762-66 & 1849) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Note the parish is often listed as Stowe-by-Chartley.
A transcript of the registers of St John, 1613-1689 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1909 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The register of the church of St Peter, Hixon commences in 1848. The original registers for the period 1848-1983 (Bapts) & 1848-1982 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1848-1868 (Bapts & Bur) & 1852-1856 (Mar) (with gaps 1853-5) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Stowe parish became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 10th October 2002, Mike Harbach. ©1999, 2000, 2002]