Towns & Parishes
"Stretton is a village, township, and parochial chapelry (to Penkridge), three miles SW of Penkridge, containing 272 inhabitants, and about 1500 acres of land, nearly the whole of which belongs to Lieut. General Monckton, whose family purchased the manor, about the close of the last century, from the Conollys, of Ireland. The General resides at Stretton Hall, which is a handsome mansion, erected during last century. Stretton is near the Roman Watling Street and is supposed to be the site of a Roman Station."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Stretton township in 1841 was 272.
A surname index of the 1851 census of Stretton township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church of St John, is a small edifice, which has mostly been rebuilt of brick, except the chancel, which is of stone, and very ancient.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Hatherton, and incumbency of the Rev. John Swire, jun. BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St John, Stretton, was a chapelry of Penkridge parish, details of which can be found on the Penkridge parish page.
A view of St John's Church, Stretton.
Church of England Registers
The register of St John commences in 1659. The original registers for the period 1659-1968 (Bapts), 1659-1837 (Mar) & 1659-1973 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1824-1870 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1678-1893 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The Lapley, Stretton & Wheaton Aston Villages site includes photographs and details on present day and historical Stretton and the surrounding area.
A transcription of the section on Stretton from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The chapelry became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 23rd October 2014, Mike Harbach. ©1998 - 2014]