Towns & Parishes
"Swynnerton, or Swinnerton, is a small neat village, in an elevated and healthy situation, four miles NW by W of Stone, giving name to a parish extending upwards of six miles in length from north to south, but only from one to two miles in breadth, and containing 961 inhabitants, and 4825 acres of land. Swynnerton Hall, a handsome stone mansion, stands near the church, on a gentle eminence, and is the seat of Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq, owner of about 3000 acres of fertile land, and lord of the manor, which was held by Roger de Swynnerton in the reign of Edward I. In the reign of of Henry VIII, the daughter of Humphrey Swynnerton carried it in marriage to the Fitzherberts. Sir Anthony Fitzherbert, the celebrated judge and author, was of this family, which has been seated here since the 16th century.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The hamlets of this parish, with their distance and bearings from Swynnerton, are as follows:
Acton, Shutlane Head and Milstone Green, from five to six miles NNW.
Beech, on a lofty eminence, partly in Stone parish, two miles N.
Hatton, two miles NW.
Shelton-under-Airley, and Stableford Bridge, three and a half miles NW.
Yarnfield, two and a half miles S by E."
'An Account of the Family of Swynnerton, of Swynnerton and Elsewhere in the County of Stafford'
by Hon George Thomas Orlando Bridgeman
Published 1886, by Harrison & Sons, London.
The population of Swynnerton parish was as follows:
1801 -- 648
1831 -- 791
1841 -- 961
"The Parish Church, St Mary, is an interesting structure of the 11th century, and was repaired and enlarged in 1844. In the Fitzherbert Chapel, adjoining the chancel, is a colossal statue, about eight feet high, of Christ suffering as a mock king.
The rectory is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev Christopher Dodsley.
Near the mansion is a handsome Catholic Chapel, in the Gothic style, built by the present Thomas Fitzherbert, Esq, with a neat house for the chaplain. The chapel has an elaborately rich roof, and a handsome tribune for the family.
At Yarnfield is a small chapel of ease, and a small Roman Catholic Chapel, built in 1836."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of St Mary commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1986 (Bapts, Mar & Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1675-1868 (with gaps 1679-1685 & 1810-1812) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1558-1812, and 1813-1837 has been published in two parts by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Swynnerton Parish & Townships
Swynnerton parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 29th May 2015, Mike Harbach. ©1999 - 2015]