"Tamworth parish church, St Editha's date of erection is unknown, though it is believed to be the work of one of the Marmions, soon after the Norman Conquest. Some person of that family consituted it a collegiate church, and placed in it a dean and six prebendaries. The seven incumbents enjoyed pensions until 1553. In the reign of Elizabeth, the college and all its prebends were granted to Edward Downing and Peter Ashton. For many years afterwards, the church was only considered a curacy, but towards the close of the last century, a decision of the House of Lords declared it to be a vicarage. In 1809 the church was repewed and the whole edifice completely repaired. It is now undergoing many repairs, and is in the decorated and later styles of English architecture. The tower, which has a peal of six bells, and a double spiral staircase, is very massive, and is surmounted by lofty pinnacles. The nave, chancel, and aisles, are very spacious, and contain many monuments, some of which have effigies of the Ferrers and Frevilles. Amongst the modern mural tablets is one erected in memory of six servants who were burned to death when the Castle Inn was destroyed by fire, on November 2nd, 1838. The vicarage is in the patronage of Rear-Admiral à Court Repington, and the Rev Edward Harston, MA, is the incumbent, and also rural dean.
Fazeley formed a chapelry to Tamworth parish and details of the church can be found on the Fazeley page.
Other chapels of ease, or district churches later built in the parish were:
Wigginton chapel was rebuilt in 1777, and enlarged in 1830. It is now a district church (St Leonard) and the perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Vicar of Tamworth, and incumbency of the Rev Rt W Lloyd, MA, of Wilnecote.
Hopwas chapel (St John), stands near the canal and the River Tame, a little SE of Hopwas Hay. It was built in 1836, and a chancel added in 1839. The curacy is annexed to the vicarage of Tamworth.
Wilnecote church, Holy Trinity, was rebuilt in 1821. It is a small building, with a low tower, and the living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Vicar of Tamworth, and incumbency of the Rev Rt W Lloyd, MA.
The ancient and ruinous chapel at Amington was rebuilt about 15 years ago, and a chancel was added about 8 years ago. It is a curacy annexed to Tamworth vicarage.
The Roman Catholic Chapel, near Aldergate Street, is dedicated to St John, and was erected in 1829. It is a handsome brick edifice, cemented in imitation of stone. The Rev James Kelly is the present pastor.
Here are also five dissenting chapels. The Presbyterian Chapel, at Colehill, belongs to the Unitarians, and was built in 1724. The Rev William Parkinson is its fourth and present minister. The Wesleyan Chapel, in Bolebridge Street, was built in 1816, and the Independent Chapel, in Aldergate Street, in 1827. The Rev Robert Johnson is minister of the latter.
In Lichfield Street is an old Friends Meeting House, and in Peel Street is a Baptist Chapel, of which the Rev Joseph Massey is pastor."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]