Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Tatenhill, is an ancient village, seated in a deep, romantic valley, between two high hills, which gradually descend from the eastern border of Needwood Forest, three and a half miles WSW of Burton-upon-Trent. Its parish contains about 9435 acres of land, and had 2329 inhabitants in its four townships of Tatenhill, Dunstall, Wychnor (Wichnor) & Barton-under-Needwood.
Tatenhill township contains 2235 acres and 450 souls, and comprises the greater part of Callingwood, one and a half miles NW of the village, and most of Highlands Park, Range Moor, and Sherholt Lodge, on Needwood Forest, from two to three miles W and NW of the village. The executors of the late Charles Arkwright, Esq, are lords of the manor, and owners of most of Tatenhill; and Sir Oswald Mosley is owner of most of Callingwood, a large district partly in Rollaston parish. Rangemoor Hall is the seat of Henry Barton, Esq.
Dunstall is a small village and township, containing 187 souls and 1700 acres, about one mile SSW of Tatenhall, and on the eastern verge of Needwood Forest. The late C Arkwright, Esq, who died in 1851, resided at the Hall, now occupied by his widow, and was owner of a large portion of the soil, and lord of the manor, which was anciently a member of the honour of Tutbury. A large portion of Highlands Park (crown land) is in this township. The Salt Marsh, enriched by saline springs, is celebrated for its effect upon sickly horses.
The township of Wychnor (Wichnor) formed a chapelry to Tatenhill parish and details can be found on the Wychnor parish page.
The township of Barton-under-Needwood formed a chapelry to Tatenhill parish and details can be found on the Barton-under-Needwood parish page."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'A History of the Parish of Tatenhill in the County of Stafford'
by Sir Reginald Hardy
Published 1907 in 2 volumes, by Harrison & Sons, London.
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the parish church of St Michael & All Angels has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Tatenhill parish (including chapelries) was as follows:
1831 -- 2180
1841 -- 2229
1851 -- 2329
"The parish church is a large ancient fabric, dedicated to St Michael. The tower is remarkable as the object of an echo, which returns, to the opposite acclivity, no less than five syllables distinctly.
The benefice is a rectory annexed to the Deanery of Lichfield. The Rev. JM Crockett is the curate.
In Tatenhill Lane is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1841"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Michael & All Angels commences in 1563. The original registers for the period 1563-1849 (Bapts), 1563-1837 (Mar) & 1563-1878 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1868 (with gaps 1712-13, 1806-06 & 1857-63) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1563-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1905 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
You can see pictures of Tatenhill which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK204219 (Lat/Lon: 52.794261, -1.698912), Tatenhill which are provided by:
Tatenhill parish became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.