"Teddesley Hay is an extra-parochial manor, comprising 61 souls and 2586 acres of land, on the western side of Cannock Chase, from which it was enclosed by its late owner, Sir Edward Littleton, who, previous to deserting his ancient and decayed family seat, at Pillerton, erected Teddesley Hall, a noble mansion, seated on an eminence, two and a quarter miles NE of Penkridge, nearly in the centre of this now fertile liberty, a large portion of which forms the park, pleasure grounds, and gardens, and the rest is a large highly cultivated farm of 1700 acres, in the occupation of the owner, Lord Hatherton, who resides at the Hall."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Teddesley Hay extra parochial district was as follows:
1831 -- 50
1841 -- 61
A surname index of the 1851 census for the extra parochial district is included in the 1851 Census, Staffordshire, Surname Index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH