Towns & Parishes
"Thorpe Constantine is a small village and parish, near the Warwickshire borders, five miles NE of Tamworth. It has only 42 inhabitants, and about 1000 acres of land, belonging to Captain William Inge, who resides in the Hall, and is lord of the manor."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The church is a small building dedicated to St Constantine, and having a lofty spire. Captain William Inge is patron of the rectory and the incumbency has been held since 1824 by the Rev George Inge, MA.
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of St Constantine commenced in 1539. The original registers for the period 1539-1812 (Bapt), 1539-1750 (Mar) & 1539-1812 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. The entries for the period 1626-1667 are missing.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1662-1879 (with gaps 1796-1804 & 1864-73) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Thorpe Constantine from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Thorpe Constantine parish became part of Tamworth Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 25th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]