"The present parish church, St Martin, is on the east side of the parish, in the populous village of Horseley Heath, two miles NE of Dudley. It is a plain brick building commenced in 1795, and finished in 1797. The ancient parish church, at Summer Hill, near Princes End, on the west side of the parish, was long a neglected ruin. Both it and the burial ground were too small for the increased wants of the parish, even in 1795, when the new church was commenced. The ancient tower is still standing, and attached to it is a small chapel of ease (St John), to the present parish church, erected in 1850.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The benefit is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Executers of the late JS Hellier, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev William Ker, MA."
Church of England Registers
The register of St Martin, Tipton, commences in 1573. The original registers for the period 1573-1901 (Bapts), 1573-1900 (Mar) & 1573-1865 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts 1672-1837 (with gaps 1674-75, 1678-81, 1707-11 & 1732-35) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers for the period 1573-1736 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society in 1923, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Tipton can be found on the Tipton page.
[Last updated: 16th April 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000, 2001]