Towns & Parishes
"Trysull, a small village, five miles SW of Wolverhampton, comprises within its parish 3310 acres of land, and 541 inhabitants, of whom 213 are in Seisdon hamlet. Lord Wrottesley is lord of the manor, but a greater part of the soil belongs to John Pudsey, Henry Jesson, John Perry, and D & W Banton, Esqrs, who have neat houses in the parish.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Seisdon, a pleasant hamlet, gives name to Seisdon Hundred and Union, and lies near the borders of Shropshire, one mile W of Trysull, where there is a narrow bridge of several arches over the River Smestow. Upon a lofty height, which forms the boundary line between the two counties, is the ancient entrenchment of Apewood Castle. Daniel Banton, Esq, owns and occupies several farms here, and was the first agriculturalist in the county who used guano, which in these 'free trade times' may be called the farmers' sheet anchor. Upon one of his farms, Mr Benton has a mill employed in thrashing the grain, and in grinding for his livestock. His thrashing machine performs at one time the operations of thrashing, winnowing, shaking the straw, piling the barley, bagging up the grain, and weighing ready for market."
'A History of Wombourne, Bobbington & Trysull.
(extract from the Victoria County History of Staffordshire, Vol XX)'
by MW Greenslade
Published 1990, by Staffordshire Libraries, Arts & Archives, Stafford.
The population of Trysull parish was as follows:
1831 -- 562
1841 -- 541
A surname index of the 1851 census for Trysull parish is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Surname Index, Vol 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
"The Parish Church, All Saints, is a small ancient edifice, having the figure of a bishop carved on its north wall. It was enlarged, and beautifully restored, in 1844.
The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Wombourn. The patronage is in certain trustees, and incumbency of the Rev William James Heale, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Postcard of All Saints Church c 1911
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of All Saints commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1968 (Bapts), 1558-1933 (Mar) & 1558-1980 (Bur), are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Note that the pages up until 1572 are mostly torn out!
Bishops Transcripts, 1665-1868 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the parish register of All Saints for the period 1558-1772 (Bapts, Mar & Bur) has been published jointly in 1999, by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society and the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Trysull from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Trysull Parish
Trysull parish became part of Seisdon Union, which took its name from the hamlet of Seisdon in this parish, following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Seisdon Union comprised the 13 parishes and townships of Bobbington, Codsall-and-Oaken, Enville, Himley, Kinfare, Pattingham, Upper Penn, Lower Penn, Tettenhall, Trysull-and-Seisdon, Wombourn, Woodford Grange, and Rudge. The Union contained about 41,000 acres, and 12,263 inhabitants in 1841.
Seisdon Union Workhouse stood on the Upper Green in Tettenhall. It was an old building which was enlarged in 1836, to accomodate 80 paupers.
Staffordshire Record Office hold some records of Seisdon Union including:
Workhouse Admission & Discharge Books, 1837-1916
Indoor Relief Lists, 1837-1930
Births Register, 1853-1914
List of Paupers, Trysull, 1852-1858
Register of Infants Received, 1912-1919
Creed Register, 1869-1891
The Public Records Office holds:
Correspondence Records, 1844-1900 (Acc No MH 12/11413-25)
Staff Registers, 1837-1921 (Acc No MH 9/15)
[Last updated: 12th September 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]