GENUKI Home page
Staffordshire Staffordshire
county page
  GENUKI Contents GENUKI
Contents
  Parish Index Staffordshire
Towns & Parishes
  NeighboursNearby places

Tutbury

"Tutbury, celebrated for its ruined castle, once the seat of the Mercian kings, and afterwards the Earls and Dukes of Lancaster, was anciently a market town, and is still a large and respectable village, pleasantly seated on the south bank of the River Dove, which separates it from Derbyshire, five miles NW of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a large station on the North Staffordshire Railway, which here separates in two branches to Derby and Burton. The village has a large cotton mill, on the Dove, erected in 1781, and glass works, commenced 1836, and having steam power for glass cutting, etc.
Tutbury parish comprises 4000 acres of land, including 777 acres in the Tutbury Ward of Needwood Forest, and 1798 souls. The Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, is lady of the manor, and owns about 2000 acres of the soil, let to several lessees. The rest of the parish belongs to Sir Oswald Mosley, Captain Townshend, and several other freeholders and copyholders, owing suit and service to the court of the Honour of Tutbury."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Bibliography

'Historical Description of the Castle & Priory of Tutbury..'
by John Jackson
Published 1796, London.

'History of the Castle, Priory & Town of Tutbury'
by Sir Oswald Moseley
Published 1832, by Simpkin & Marshall, London.

'The Natural History of Tutbury'
by Sir Oswald Moseley
Published 1863, London.

'History of Tutbury & Rolleston'
by Charles Haywood Underhill
Published 1949, by Tresises, Burton-upon-Trent.

'An Historical Description of Tutbury Castle & Priory,
with some account of the Town & Neighbourhood'

by Anon
Published 1843, H Wayte, Tutbury.

'Guide to Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire'
by Robert Somerville
Published 1960, by Duchy of Lancaster, London.

'Medieval Tutbury, A History of the Monastery, Church & Castle'
by Norman Edwards, Vicar of Pensnett
Published 1949, by AC Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.

'The Story of the Priory Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tutbury, Staffordshire'
by Norman Edwards, Vicar of Pensnett
Published 1939, by British Publishing Co, Gloucester.

Return to top of page

Census

The population of Tutbury parish was as follows:
1801 -- 844
1831 -- 1553
1841 -- 1835
1851 -- 1798

Return to top of page

Church History

"Tutbury Church, St Mary, is a large edifice, with an embattled tower, standing on a declivity near the castle, and finely decorated with beautiful specimens of Saxon architecture. It formed part of the old priory church, founded in 1080.
The vicarage is in the patronage of the vicar of Bakewell, and incumbency of the Rev Henry Peach, MA.

In the village is an Independent Chapel, built in 1799, and repaired in 1844, when a new gallery was added. The Wesleyan Chapel here was rebuilt in 1838, and here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1831."

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1668. The original registers for the period 1668-1916 (Bapts), 1668-1876 (Mar), & 1668-1906 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1673-1838 (with gaps 1711-14, 1809-12 & 1836) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.

Nonconformist Registers
The original registers of Back Street (Monk Street), Tutbury, Independent Chapel for the period 1801-1837 (Births & Bapts), are deposited at the Public Record Office.

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

The Tutbury Website pages include history and photographs of the area.

Land and Property

Paul Jones has produced an 1841 Index of Tithable Lands in Tutbury sorted by Occupier.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law etc

Tutbury parish became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.

Return to top of page
Valid HTML 4.0!

[Last updated: 19th March 2012, Mike Harbach.  © 1999 - 2012]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.