"Uttoxeter is an ancient and well-built market town, pleasantly seated in the heart of a rich grazing district, upon a gentle eminence above the vale of the Dove, 14 miles NE by E of Stafford, and 17 miles N of Lichfield. It has two railway stations near the junction of the Churnet Valley and the main line of the North Staffordshire Railway. The Canal, from Uttoxeter to Froghall, is now closed, and some parts of it are filled up and converted into the Churnet Valley Railway, which was opened in 1849.
The parish of Uttoxeter contains about 9000 acres of fertile land and in 1841 had 4735 inhabitants, of whom about 3700 are in the town, and the rest in the hamlets and constablewicks of Crakemarsh, Loxley, Stramshall-and-Creighton, and Woodlands. Earl Talbot, Lord Bagot, JV Smythe, Esq, and the Lawrence, Minors, and Farnham families, are the principal owners and joint lords of the manor, but the Hon R Cavendish is lord of Crakemarsh, Creighton and Stramshall, and CTS Kynnersley, Esq, is lord of the manors of Blounts Hall and Loxley.
The town stands on a dry elevation above the vale of the Dove, and has long been remarkable for the salubrity of its air and the longevity of its inhabitants. The market place has several good streets branching from it, and containing many well-stocked shops and handsome houses. Races were re-established here in 1850, and are intended to be held twice a year on the old course at Netherwood, in spring, for steeple chasing and hurdle races, and in September for the more legitimate kind of racing.
The hamlets in Uttoxeter parish, and their distance and bearings from the town, are as follows:
Blount's Green, in the manor of Blount's Hall, three quarters of a mile SW.
Heath, a district of modern scattered houses, half a mile NW.
Hockley, a quarter of a mile S.
Little Bramshall, two miles W, adjoining Great Bramshall, and mostly belonging to CTS Kynnersley, Esq.
Crakemarsh, two miles N, a fertile district belonging to the Hon Richard Cavendish, but formerly held by the late Sir TC Sheppard, Bart, whose relict resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion, delightfully situated near the Dove.
Spath, one mile N.
Stramshall, and Creighton, two to three miles NNW.
Beamhurst Lane, near the River Tean, two and a half miles NW, near which is Springfield Hall, the seat of W Phillips, Esq.
Loxley, a district of fertile farms, from two to three miles SW, including Loxley Hall and Park, the seat of Clement Thomas Sneyd Kynnersley, Esq, ( a minor), but at present occupied by T Malleby, Esq.
Burndhurst Mills, on the Blythe River, and Leese Hills, three and a half miles WSW.
Woodlands, an extensive township of scattered houses, from one to three miles SE, extending to the River Dove, and including Blount's Green, already noticed, Highfields, and Highwood, the seats of Mrs CJS Kynnersley and W Wood, Esq, Wills Lock, and Scoundslow Green, two hamlets, and Hollingsbury Hall, the ancient seat of the Minors family, several of whom were remarkable for their attachment to a seafaring life.
Woodgate is a pleasant village, about half a mile S of Uttoxeter, commanding a fine view of the vale of Dove, and near it is Wood Villa, the seat of S Bean, Esq, but the property of E Phillips, Esq, of Burton, and Moorhouse, belonging to the Clough family. Betwixt it and Uttoxeter is Brook House, where there is a large tan yard, and a ladies boarding school. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]