"St Peter's Church, in Stafford Street, is a handsome structure, in the Early English style, erected in 1844. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Walsall, and incumbency of the Rev Charles Dunn, MA."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A view of St Peter's Church (1).
A view of St Peter's Church (2).
Postcard of St Peter's Church (Interior) c1909.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Peter commences in 1841. The original registers for the period 1841-1973 (Bapts) & 1845-1948 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A microfilm copy of the register is held by Walsall Local History Centre.
Bishops Transcripts, 1841-1861 (Bapts), 1845-1849 (Mar) & 1841-1861 (Bur) (with gap 1860) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Note: According to a diocesan survey in the 1880s, two burial registers for the period 1841-1885 existed. The whereabouts of these registers is unknown although the earlier burials are contained in the Bishops Transcripts.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Walsall can be found on the Walsall page.
[Last updated: 3rd May 2012, Mike Harbach. © 2001 - 2012]