Towns & Parishes
"Warslow, or Warnslow, is a village and chapelry (of Alstonfield parish), in the township of Warslow & Elkstone, which contains 715 souls and about 5000 acres, four miles S of Longnor.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Elkstone (Upper & Lower), are two hamlets in the township of Warslow and Elkstone, forming a chapelry, divided by a small brook, and distant from five to six miles NW of Alstonfield, the houses being mostly on the eastern side of Mixon Hill, a lofty ridge, in which copper, lead and rottonstone have been got. The New York and Royledge Copper and lead mines are in Upper Elkstone "
The population of Upper and Lower Elkstone in 1841 was 253, and that of Warslow, 519.
"Warslow church, St James, was rebuilt in 1820.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, with that of Elkstone annexed to it, in the patronage of the vicar of Alstonfield, and incumbency of the Rev. RB Pidcock, BA.
The chapel at Upper Elkstone is a small building with a wooden belfry, built in 1788."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Warslow, St James, & Elkstone, St John the Baptist, formed a chapelry of Alstonfield parish, details of which can be found on the Alstonfield parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of Warslow, St Lawrence (formerly St James), commences in 1785. The original registers for the period 1785-1900 (Bapts), 1870-1980 (Mar) & 1785-1972 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The register of Elkstone, St John the Baptist, commences in 1785. The original registers for the period 1785-1929 (Bapts) & 1785-1991 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1786-1857 (with some gaps) for both churches are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Warslow from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817
The chapelry became part of Leek Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 7th October 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]