"Waterfall is a small scattered village in the Moorlands, seven and a half miles SE by E of Leek, deriving its name from the curious phenomenon of the river Hamps, which having flowed about eight miles from its source, suddenly disappears , near Waterhouses, among the limestone rocks, where it pursues a subterraneous course to the neighbourhood of Ilam, where it again appears, and forms a confluence with the Manyfold. The parish contains about 1600 acres and 446 inhabitants, and includes most of the village of Waterhouses, one mile S, the hamlet of Wilkhill, one and a quarter miles SW of Waterfall, and a small portion of Calton chapelry. Waterhouses is partly in Cauldon parish. Winkhill has a corn and paper mill, a foundry, and a colour manufactory, six miles SE of Leek. Calton formed a chapelry to Waterfall parish and details can be found on the Calton parish page. " [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The parish church, St James & St Bartholomew, is a small ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The rectory is in the patronage of A Henniker, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Henry Goodacre, MA, for whom the Rev GH Penny of Cauldon, officiates. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Winkhill, and the Primitive Methodists have one at Waterhouses"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St James & St Bartholomew commences in 1602. The original registers for the period 1602-1931 (Bapts), 1602-1972 (Mar) & 1602-1992 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1784-1823 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1856 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. Some entries for Calton chapelry are included in the parish registers and Bishops Transcripts.