Towns & Parishes
"Waterfall is a small scattered village in the Moorlands, seven and a half miles SE by E of Leek, deriving its name from the curious phenomenon of the river Hamps, which having flowed about eight miles from its source, suddenly disappears , near Waterhouses, among the limestone rocks, where it pursues a subterraneous course to the neighbourhood of Ilam, where it again appears, and forms a confluence with the Manyfold. The parish contains about 1600 acres and 446 inhabitants, and includes most of the village of Waterhouses, one mile S, the hamlet of Wilkhill, one and a quarter miles SW of Waterfall, and a small portion of Calton chapelry.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Waterhouses is partly in Cauldon parish.
Winkhill has a corn and paper mill, a foundry, and a colour manufactory, six miles SE of Leek.
Calton formed a chapelry to Waterfall parish and details can be found on the Calton parish page. "
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the parish church of St James & St Bartholomew has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Waterfall parish was as follows:
1831 -- 531
1841 -- 446
"The parish church, St James & St Bartholomew, is a small ancient structure, with a tower and three bells.
The rectory is in the patronage of A Henniker, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Henry Goodacre, MA, for whom the Rev GH Penny of Cauldon, officiates.
The Wesleyans have a chapel at Winkhill, and the Primitive Methodists have one at Waterhouses"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St James & St Bartholomew commences in 1602. The original registers for the period 1602-1931 (Bapts), 1602-1972 (Mar) & 1602-1992 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1784-1823 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1856 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Some entries for Calton chapelry are included in the parish registers and Bishops Transcripts.
The parish became part of Ashbourne Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 10th June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]