"The Parish Church, St Bartholomew, stands on the summit of a bold eminence, which was once the site of a Saxon castle. It is a large and handsome fabric, in the transition style of the 13th and 14th centuries, and was repewed, thoroughly repaired, and enlarged by the erection of a north transept, in 1827. The aisles are separated from the nave by neat arches, resting upon octagonal pillars. Here are several antique stalls, exquisitely carved, and a variety of monuments and effigies, in honour of the ancestors of Lord Dudley and Lord Harcourt. The tower contains eight musical bells and a clock, and is surmounted by a lofty spire.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The vicarage is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Isaac Clarkson, MA, who has held the living since 1829. "
A view of St Bartholomew's Church pre-1827.
The interior of St Bartholomew's Church pre-1827.
St Andrew's church, in King's Hill was erected in 1893 as a mission church to St Bartholomew. It succeeded an earlier mission church built there in 1851.
The church of the Good Shepherd at The Delves, which was built as a chapel of ease to St Bartholomew in 1850, was transferred to St Paul when the parish of Wood Green was formed. It closed in 1936 when the new ecclesiastical district of St Gabriel, Fullbrook, Walsall was formed.
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Bartholomew commences in 1561. The original registers for the period 1569-1931 (Bapts), 1562-1934 (Mar) & 1561-1926 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1826 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1673-1844 (with some gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
An indexed transcript of the St Bartholomew register for the period 1561-1812 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The register of the mission church of St Andrew, Kings Hill for the period 1853-1914 (Bapts) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Wednesbury can be found on the Wednesbury page.
A list of the Churchwardens of St Bartholomew Church, Wednesbury from 1561 to 1717.
[Last updated: 6th May 2002, Mike Harbach. © 2001, 2002]