St Paul's church at Wood Green, Wednesbury, was built in 1874, for a new ecclesiastical parish, comprising parts of Wednesbury and West Bromwich parishes.
The mission church of St Luke, Alma Street, Mesty Croft was formed in 1879 in premises belonging to the Elwells as a mission church to St Paul. It was rebuilt in 1894. It became an ecclesiastical district in 1944. The church was demolished and replaced in the 1970s.
The church of the Good Shepherd at The Delves, which was built as a chapel of ease to St Bartholomew in 1850, was transferred to St Paul when the parish of Wood Green was formed. It closed in 1936 when the new ecclesiastical district of St Gabriel, Fullbrook, Walsall was formed.
Church of England Registers
The register of the church of St Paul commences in 1875. The original registers for the period 1875-1963 (Bapts) & 1876-1988 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Wednesbury can be found on the Wednesbury page.
[Last updated: 10th April 2001, Mike Harbach. © 2001]