"Wednesfield is a township in the South Division of Offlow Hundred, two miles NE of Wolverhampton, and on the Wyrley & Essington Canal. It is an ancient chapelry and a member of the parish and parliamentary borough of Wolverhampton, but has lately been made a district parish. It contains about 3700 acres of land, and about 4000 souls, residing in the large village of Wednesfield, and the neighbouring hamlets of Wednesfield Heath, March-end, Nechell, Wood-end, and Wood Hayes. Immense quantities of locks, keys, and traps of every description are manufactured here for the Birmingham and Wolverhampton merchants.
In Domesday Book it is called Wodnesfelde, and is mentioned among the lands given to Wulfruna's monastery. It is memorable as the scene of a decisive victory which Edward the Elder obtained over the Danes in 910.
The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor, held as a parcel of the deanery of Wolverhampton, but the land mostly belongs to the Duke of Sutherland, JM Paget, F Gough, T Perry, G Phillips, E Tunnicliff, JE Bealey, and W & H Rogers, Esqrs, and some smaller owners."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]