"All Saints, the parish church of West Bromwich, stands on the east side of the parish, retired from the noise and bustle of the mines and manufactories. It was a very ancient fabric, but was mostly rebuilt, except the tower, in 1788, and subsequent years, when the interior was considerably enlarged, by the south aisles being thrown into the body, so as to present one entire space. A small ancient chapel on the south side remains, and is now used as a pew by the Earl of Dartmouth, the lay rector, who enlarged and beautified the chancel some years ago.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Earl of Dartmouth, and incumbency of the Rev James Spry, who is assisted by the Rev Isaac Bickerstaff."
'The Story of All Saints Parish Church, West Bromwich'
by Percy Hartill
Published 1935, by British Publishing Co, Gloucester & London.
A list of the Churchwardens of All Saints Church, West Bromwich from 1678 to 1771.
Church of England Registers
The register of All Saints, West Bromwich, commences in 1608. The original registers for the period 1608-1958 (Bapts), 1608-1984 (Mar) & 1608-1956 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1768-1777 & 1868-1887 are deposited at Sandwell Community History & Archives Service.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1676-1868 (with gaps 1684, 1714, 1735-37 & 1829) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Transcripts of the West Bromwich All Saints registers have been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH as follows:
Part 1, Marriages 1822-1837
Part 2, Marriages 1795-1822
Part 3, Marriages 1658-1794
Part 4, Baptisms 1660-1772
Part 5 Baptisms & Marriages 1608-1659, Burials 1608-1658 (originally published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1909)
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in West Bromwich can be found on the West Bromwich page.
[Last updated: 29th March 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000, 2001]