"Christ Church, in High Street, in the most populous part of the town, is a large and elegant structure, in the rich florid style of Gothic architecture, with a massive tower, 114 feet high, containing a fine peal of 12 bells. The first stone was laid by the Earl of Dartmouth on 25th of September, 1821, and the church was consecrated on 17th January, 1829.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Earl of Dartmouth, and incumbency of the Rev James Bradshaw, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Christ Church ecclesiastical parish was formed on the 24th February, 1827.
The church was in stone, in the Later English style to designs of Francis Goodwin, and consisted of a chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower with pinnacles, restored in 1882, and containing a clock and 12 bells. It was destroyed by fire on 23rd October 1979.
Church of England Registers
The register of Christ Church, West Bromwich, commences in 1829. The original registers for the period 1829-1953 (Bapts), 1837-1955 (Mar) & 1843-1970 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1829-1834 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in West Bromwich can be found on the West Bromwich page.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of West Bromwich which are provided by: