"Whittington is a fine rural village, seated on a dry gravelly soil, three miles ESE of Lichfield, and comprising within its parish, 809 inhabitants, and upwards of 3000 acres of land, all of which is enclosed, except Whittington Heath, on the west side of the village, where Lichfield Races are held. This heath forms an excellent sheep walk, and would, if enclosed, be very productive for the growth of turnips and barley. John Levett, Esq, and Sir Robert Peel are the principal landowners, but the Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor. Huddlesford, in this parish, is a hamlet, on the Coventry Canal, three miles E of Lichfield, and one mile N of Whittington. The canal here is crossed by the Trent Valley Railway." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The Parish Church, St Giles, has a lofty spire, and was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1761. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of John Levett, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev Charles Floyer, MA, of Hints."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The register of the parish church of St Giles commences in 1574. The original registers for the period 1574-1867 (Bapts), 1574-1837 (Mar) & 1574-1857 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1663-1870 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers The original registers of Whittington Barracks Wesleyan Methodist Chapel for the period 1892-1935 (Bapts) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.