"St George's Church, on the Bilston Road, is a large and handsome structure of brick, cased with Tixall stone, in the Doric order of architecture, standing in a burial ground of four acres. The first stone was laid on 18th August 1828, and the building was finished in 1830. The window frames and the pillars which support the galleries, are of cast iron.
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev GB Clare, BA, who is assisted by the Revs PS Desprez and R Blincoe, curates."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]