"St George's Church, on the Bilston Road, is a large and handsome structure of brick, cased with Tixall stone, in the Doric order of architecture, standing in a burial ground of four acres. The first stone was laid on 18th August 1828, and the building was finished in 1830. The window frames and the pillars which support the galleries, are of cast iron.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev GB Clare, BA, who is assisted by the Revs PS Desprez and R Blincoe, curates."
St George's church was closed in 1978 but the building has been preserved and incorporated into the Sainsbury's supermarket built on the site which opened in January 1988.
Church of England Registers
The register of St George, Wolverhampton, commences in 1832.
The original registers for the period 1834-1977 (Bapts), 1834-1976 (Mar) & 1832-1833 & 1849-1949 (Bur), are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
No Bishops Transcripts are recorded at Lichfield Record Office.
Wolverhampton Archives have placed on line indexes of the Wolverhampton St George registers covering Baptisms 1834-1875, Marriages 1834-1875 & Burials 1832-1880
Note : They are included in the "Wolverhampton & District Parish Registers" Index
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Wolverhampton can be found on the Wolverhampton page.
[Last updated: 22nd April 2011, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2011]