"St Peter's Church, the ancient Collegiate and Parish Church of Wolverhampton, is pleasantly situated on elevated ground towards the eastern side of the town. It is a stately structure, consisting of a lofty nave, two side aisles, transepts, and a chancel, with a very finely embattled and richly ornamented tower, rising from the centre, to a height of 120 feet, and containing eight bells.
The rectory is in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and the rector is the Rev John Osmond Dakeyne, MA. The Rev George Cottom, MA, is the lecturer, and the Revs John Ford, MA, and Thomas Jacob Freeth, BA, are the curates."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]