Towns & Parishes
"The parish of Wolverhampton is about 30 miles in circuit, but several of its townships lie detached from the rest, and were annexed to it in monastic times, as prebends of the collegiate church. It comprises 10 townships, Bilston, Bentley, Featherstone, Hatherton, Hilton, Kinvaston, Pelsall, Wednesfield, Willenhall, and Wolverhampton.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Wolverhampton, the most populous borough and market town in Staffordshire, is of considerable antiquity, and is the head of a large and populous parish, a poor law union, county court district, petty sessional division, rural deanery, and parliamentary borough. The town has more than 47,000 inhabitants and 3,200 acres of land, and its parish about 90,000 inhabitants and 16,560 acres. It is fourteen miles NW by W of Birmingham, sixteen miles S of Stafford, and six miles W of Walsall.
The town of Wolverhampton stands on the summit and declivities of a bold gravelly eminence, in the central part of Wolverhampton township, which comprises a number of suburban hamlets, neat mansions, and coal and iron works, etc. The town and western portion of the township are in the Deanery & Prebendal manor, of which the Duke of Cleveland is lessee lord, and the rest is in the manor of Stow Heath, which comprises also parts of Bilston and Willenhall, and is held by the Duke of Sutherland and TW Giffard, Esq. The other principal landowners in the township are Ralph Gough, R & WF Fryer, and G Holyoake, Esqrs, and Miss Hinckes.
The villages and hamlets in Wolverhampton township are as follows:
Chapel Ash, half a mile W, a small village and district having several neat villas, including The Oaks, the seat of John Hartley, Esq, and Chapel House, the residence of George Edwardes, Esq, surgeon.
Catchem's Corner, one and a half miles SE, and Ettingshall Lane, one mile E, are districts partly in Bilston township.
Dunstall is an estate of 200 acres, one mile N by W, with an ancient castellated mansion called Dunstall Hall, formerly the demesne of the Wightwicks, and now the residence of Captain Annesley.
Goldthorn Hill, one and a half miles S, is a high district of scattered houses, extending into the parishes of Sedgley and Penn. The large reservoir of the new Water Works were constructed here in 1850-1. Rough-hills colliery is located here.
Graisley, one mile S by W, is the estate and seat of Frederick Sparrow, Esq, and includes an ancient place called the Lea, which was for many generations the seat of the Waring family. Near it are the hamlets of Straw Hill and the Rookery.
Merridale, or Meredale, one mile W by S, is an estate mostly belonging to the Petit family, and formerly held by the Heyricks. Here is situated the large General Cemetery.
Monmore Green, half a mile SE, is a populous suburb, on the prebendal estate of Monmore, where there is a mine of coal and ironstone, now nearly exhausted.
New Bridge, half a mile NW, is an estate belonging to F Holyoake, Esq.
Seven Houses, half a mile S, is an increasing suburb, with many new houses.
Slade Hill, a farm, etc, one and a half miles NW, on the Tettenhall road.
Stow Heath, a manor anciently held by the Crown, and now by the Duke of Sutherland, and TW Gifford, Esq.
Vauxhall, three quarters of a mile NW, is a large modern village, with several neat residences.
Bentley, four and a half miles E of Wolverhampton, is a township comprising about 1470 acres of land. Its population increased from 104 in 1831, to 428 in 1841, owing to the coal and iron works commenced here in 1832 by the Earl of Lichfield, who is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Bentley Hall, the ancient manor house of the Lanes, is memorable as the residence of Colonel Lane, who, with his sister Jane, concealed Charles II, after his defeat at the battle of Worcester, and assisted him in effecting his escape out of the kingdom. This hall is a neat building, now occupied by the Rev GH Fisher, MA, incumbent of St Giles, Willenhall, to which church district Bentley belongs. The Anson Arm Canal extends to the iron furnaces here, which have not been worked during the last seven years.
Featherstone is a small detached township, five miles N by E of Wolverhampton, and gave name to a prebend in the collegiate church of that town. The Duke of Cleveland is lessee lord of the manor, which comprises 34 inhabitants, and 550 acres of land. This place was formerly the residence of Huntbach, the antiquary.
Hatherton, another small village and detached township, nine miles NNE of Wolverhampton, and forms part of the deanery manor of that town, held on lease by the Duke of Cleveland, but the land belongs chiefly to the Hon Edward R Littleton, MP, whose relative, the late Morton Walhouse, Esq, rebuilt the Hall, in 1817, in the Gothic style. The township comprises 378 inhabitants, and 1200 acres of land, including several farms, part of Calf-heath Common, and the hamlet of Four Crosses, where there is a good inn, on the Roman Watling Street, within two miles SW of Cannock. The inhabitants use Cannock church.
Hilton, a township of 500 acrs and 57 souls, five miles NNE of Wolverhampton, is a prebendal and tithe free estate, consisting of three farms, and Hilton Park, the beautiful seat of Major General Henry Charles W Vernon, which is a large structure of brick and stone, surmounted by a moat, erected in 1700.
Kinvaston township and prebendal estate of 200 acres and 21 souls, is another small detached member of Wolverhampton parish, eight and a half miles N of the town, and two and a half miles S of Penkridge. It consists of a single farm, occupied by Mr Charles Wotton."
Bilston Township formed a chapelry to Wolverhampton parish and details can be found on the Bilston page.
Pelsall Township formed a chapelry to Wolverhampton parish and details can be found on the Pelsall page.
Wednesfield Township formed a chapelry to Wolverhampton parish and details can be found on the Wednesfield page.
Willenhall Township formed a chapelry to Wolverhampton parish and details can be found on the Willenhall page.
'The Bibliography of Wolverhampton. A Record of Local Books, Authors & Booksellers..'
by George T Lawley
Published 1890, by Price & Beebee, Bilston.
'Early Wolverhampton Books & Printers, with a note on some playbills'
by Gerald Poynton Mander
Published 1922, by Whitehead Bros, Wolverhampton.
'History of Wolverhampton'
by Gerald P Mander & Norman W Tildesley
Published 1906, by Wolverhampton CB Corporation.
'History of Wolverhampton'
by Chris Upton.
Published 1998, by Phillimore & Co, Chichester. ISBN 1-86077-080-0
'Steen & Blacket's Original Illustrated Wolverhampton Guide & Visitors Handbook'
by Steen & Blacket
Published 1871, by Steen & Blacket, Wolverhampton.
'Anglo Saxon Wolverhampton, The Town & its Monastery'
by D Hooke & TR Slater
Published 1986, by Wolverhampton Library & Community Services.
'The Origins of Wolverhampton to 1085...'
by George J Barnsby
Published 1985, by Wolverhampton Borough Council.
'Man of Wolverhampton (the life & times of Sir Charles Marston)'
by Marjorie von Harten & Melissa Marston (his daughters)
Published 1979, by Coombe Springs Press, Daglingworth.
'Midland City. Wolverhampton Social & Industrial Survey'
by Tom Brennan.
Published 1948, by Denis Dobson, London. ISBN 0-86299-515-9
'The Book of Wolverhampton. The Story of an Industrial Town'
by Frank Mason
Published 1979, by Barracuda Books, Buckingham.
'Yesterday's Town, Wolverhampton.'
by Frank Mason
Published 1982, by Barracuda Books, Buckingham.
'Wolverhampton. A Portrait in Old Picture Postcards'
by Eric Wooley
Published 1989, by SB Publications, Loggerheads.
'Wolverhampton. A Portrait in Old Picture Postcards, Volume 2'
by Eric Wooley
Published 1992, by SB Publications, Market Drayton.
'Images of Wolverhampton'
Published 1995, by Breedon Books, Derby.
'Wolverhampton in the 1930s & '40s'
by Elizabeth Rees
Published 1988, by Hendon, Nelson.
'Memories of Wolverhampton'
by Alton Douglas & Dennis Moore
Published 1991, by Beacon Broadcasting, Wolverhampton.
'Wolverhampton (Archive Photograph Series)'
by Mary Mills & Tracey Williams.
Published 1996, by Chalford Publishing. ISBN 0-752406027
'Mapping the Past, Wolverhampton 1577-1986'
by Mary Mills.
Published 1993, by Wolverhampton Council. ISBN 0-905654145
'A History of Wolverhampton Transport. Vol 1. 1833 to 1930'
by Osmond Wildsmith
Published 1989, by Birmingham Transport Historical Group, Birmingham.
'A History of Wolverhampton Transport. Vol 2. 1929 to 1969'
by Paul Addenbrooke
Published 1995, by Birmingham Transport Historical Group, Droitwich Spa.
'Wolverhampton on Wheels'
by Simon Dewey & Ned Williams
Published 1991, by Uralia Press, Wolverhampton.
Wolverhampton Archives have placed on line transcripts of the Burials at Merridale Cemetery, Jeffcock Road 1850-1937
Wolverhampton Archives also hold microfilm copies of the burial registers of Merridale Cemetery, Jeffcock Road, Wolverhampton for the period 1850-1994 and Beacon Hill Cemetery, Dovedale Road, Wolverhampton for the period 1960-1992.
Colin Hayes War Memorials of Wolverhampton site includes details and photographs of many war memorials in and around Wolverhampton.
Doug Lewis Wolverhampton War Memorials site includes details of many of the men honoured on the war memorials in and around Wolverhampton.
The Express & Star Virtual Cenotaph site pays tribute to Wolverhampton's war dead of the 20th century.
The population of Wolverhampton township was as follows:
1801 -- 12,566
1811 -- 14,836
1821 -- 18,380
1831 -- 24,732
1841 -- 36,382
1851 -- 49,985
1861 -- 60,860
1871 -- 68,291
1881 -- 75,766
1891 -- 82,662
1901 -- 94,187
A surname index only of the 1851 census for Wolverhampton is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Surname Index Vol 13, Parts 1 & 2, Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton Eastern published in two volumes by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
A surname index only of the 1891 census for Wolverhampton (PRO Ref RG12/2223-2244) is included in the 1891 Census Surname & Folio Index for Dudley, Sedgley & Wolverhampton & District published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the 1841 census of Wolverhampton for the surnames Jones, Roberts & Aston only transcribed by Sylvia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A transcript of the 1851 census of Wolverhampton for the surnames Jones & Roberts only transcribed by Sylvia (email@example.com).
Church of England History
For Anglican church history see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church History
"Dissenters are as numerous in Wolverhampton as in most other towns of a siimilar population, having here no fewer than 12 places of worship, some of which are large and handsome structures.
The Quakers formerly had a meeting house in Canal Street, but it was converted into dwellings many years ago.
The Old Dissenting Meeting House, in St John Street, was erected in 1701, 'for the worship and service of God, without any restriction as to points of doctrine'. A chancery suit was long pending between the Trinitarian and Unitarian portions of the congregation, and it is now occupied by Particular Baptists.
The Rev William Hatton is minister of the Baptist Chapel, in Temple Street, which was built about 75 years ago, and has lately been much improved.
The Unitarian Chapel, on Snow Hill, was built in 1831, by a congregation which originated in the Old Dissenting Meeting House. It is a small neat edifice, under the ministry of the Rev S Hunter.
The Presbyterian Chapel, in Temple Street, is a plain brick edifice, erected many years ago, and now under the ministry of the Rev John Bryson, LLD.
The Independent Chapel, in Queen Street, is a large brick building, belonging to the Congregationalists, and now under the ministry of the Rev Watson Smith.
The Congregational Church, on Snow Hill, is a large and elegant structure, erected in 1848-9, by an influential body of Calvanistic dissenters, including J Barker, EB Dimmock, and S Cartwright, Esqs. The Rev William Bevan is the pastor.
The Wesleyan Chapel is a handsome stuccoed building, in Darlington Street, built in 1824. The Wesleyans also have small chapels in Cannon Street, Blakenall, and Monmore Green.
The New Connexion Methodist Chapel, at Horsley Fields, is called Mount Zion Chapel, and was erected in 1829, and is now under the ministry of the Rev John Ramsden."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
St Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic Church, North Street was built in 1725, but was enlarged in 1743, and for 22 years served as the cathedral of the central district, which comprised the greater part of the dioceses of Birmingham, Shrewsbury, Northampton and Nottingham. Built in brick, in the Italian style, it consists of a nave, and two transepts.
St Mary & St John Roman Catholic Church , Snow Hill, was consecrated in 1855 and is a building in stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel with aisles, chapels and sacristies, nave, aisles and transepts. In 1928 a chapel in honour of St Teresa was added.
St Patrick Roman Catholic Church, Westbury Street, was designed by Pugin, and opened in 1867.
St Joseph Roman Catholic Church is situated in Walsall Street.
'A History of the Congregational Churches in Wolverhampton, from 1662 to 1894'
by William Highfield Jones
Published 1894, by Alexander & Shepheard, London.
'Queen Street Congregational Church, Wolverhampton.
The Story of a Hundred Years, 1809 - 1909'
by Henry Arthur May
Published 1909, Wolverhampton.
'Beckminster Methodist Church, Wolverhampton, 1926-1976'
by Nigel Collinson
Published 1976, by Nigel Collinson, Wolverhampton.
'Wolverhampton Quakers, 1704 - 1988'
by Clement Jones, Hilary Clark & Eric Turner
Published 1989, by Clark & Howard.
Church of England Registers
For Anglican church records see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church Registers
The original registers are deposited at Wolverhampton Archives (WA), Staffordshire Record Office (SRO), or the Public Record Office (PRO) as indicated below:
Bilston Road, Wolverhampton, Wesleyan Methodist, Marriages 1902-1937 (WA)
Dudley Road, Wolverhampton, Bethel Methodist, Baptisms 1851-1955 (WA), Marriages 1907-1954 (WA)
Compton Road, Wolverhampton, Trinity Methodist, Baptisms 1863-1974, Marriages 1864-1911 (WA)
Cross Street, Heath Town, Primitive Methodist, Baptisms 1875-1936 (WA)
Darlington Street, Wolverhampton, Methodist, Baptisms 1793-1856 (WA)
Wimborne Road, Fallings Park, Methodist, Baptisms 1880-1975 (WA)
George Street, Ettingshall, Methodist, Baptisms 1825-1987 & Marriages 1900-1987 (WA)
Wolverhampton Road, Heath Town, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1848-1961 & Marriages 1868-1961 (WA)
John Street Chapel, Wolverhampton, Presbyterian, Births & Baptisms 1726-1815 (PRO), Burials 1726-1729 (SRO)
Lord Street, Wolverhampton, Methodist, Baptisms 1862-1965 (WA)
Monmore Green, Primitive Methodist, Baptisms 1847-1913 (WA)
Mount Zion, Horseley Fields, Methodist, Baptisms 1858-1968 (WA)
Parkfields Methodist, Baptisms 1912-1962 (WA)
Pountney Street, Wolverhampton, Methodist, Baptisms 1901-1948 (WA)
Queen Street, Wolverhampton, Independent / Congregational, Births & Baptisms 1785-1837 (SRO), Baptisms 1879-1970 (SRO), Marriages 1876-1899 (SRO)
Ranelagh Road, Wolverhampton, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1850-1902 (WA), Marriages 1894-1962 (SRO)
Snow Hill, Wolverhampton, Congregational, Baptisms 1849-1865, Marriages 1849-1860 (WA)
Snow Hill, Wolverhampton, Unitarian, Births & Baptisms 1830-38 (PRO)
Stafford Street, Wolverhampton, Congregational, Baptisms 1888-1956 (SRO)
Stratton Street, Wolverhampton, Methodist, Baptisms 1879-1967 (WA)
Temple Street, Wolverhampton, Independent, Births & Baptisms 1771-1836 (PRO), Burials 1787-1799 (PRO)
Trinity Reformed Church of England, Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton, Baptisms 1880-1965, Marriages 1881-1892, Burials 1880-1891 (WA)
Walsall Street, Wolverhampton, Baptist, Births & Namings 1832-1837 (PRO)
Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton, Baptist, Marriages 1899-1970 (WA)
York Street, Wolverhampton, Congregational, Baptisms 1911-1930 (SRO)
A transcript of some of the Wolverhampton nonconformist registers for the period 1726-1837 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Wolverhampton Archives have placed on line transcripts of the registers of the Wolverhampton Circuit Methodist Registers 1726-1968. These include transcripts for the following Wolverhampton Methodist Registers:
Compton Road Wesleyan Methodist 1863-1920
Darlington Street 1793-1856
Dudley Road Bethel Primitive Methodist (previously Derry Street) 1850-1955
Fallings Park United Methodist 1880-1920
Heath Town Wesleyan 1848-1918
Cross Street Primitive Methodist Heath Town 1875-1936
John Street Presbyterian baptisms 1726-1815
Lanesfield Wesleyan baptisms 1850-1929
Lord Street / Great Brickkiln Street Primitive Zion 1862-1965
Monmore Green Primitive Methodist baptisms 1847-1913
Moseley Hole Primitive Methodist 1855-1047
Ranelagh Road Weslleyan baptisms 1849-1893, marriages 1894-1902
Temple Street Independent baptisms 1771-1836, burials 1787-1799
Springfields Wesleyan Methodist 1879-1968
Horsley Fields Zion Methodist baptisms 1858-1918, marriages 1899-1906
Swan Gardens baptisms 1853-1935
Waterloo Road Trinity Reformed 1880-1925
Note that almost all burials in the Wolverhampton Circuit took place at Swan Bank Wesleyan Chapel, and the remainder at Bradley Wesleyan Chapel)
The original registers of Wolverhampton, St Patrick, Roman Catholic church for the period 1865-1925 (Bapts), & 1866-1898 (Mar) are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
The original registers of Wolverhampton, St Mary & St John, Roman Catholic church for the period 1855-1915 (Bapts), 1856-1915 (Mar), & 1895-1905 (Deaths) are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
The original registers of Wolverhampton, St Peter & St Paul, Roman Catholic church for the period 1791-1910 (Bapts), 1837-1854 (Mar) & 1784-1839 (Burials) are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
Wolverhampton Archives holds microfilm copies of the above Roman Catholic Registers.
A transcript of the registers for St Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic Church to 1830 was published (with Chillington) by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1959 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Records of Wolverhampton Petty Sessions for the period 1872-1939 are deposited at Wolverhampton Archives. The Petty Sessions Court dealt with public house licensing and minor offences but only covered the suburbs of Wolverhampton and not the town centre.
Records of Wolverhampton Magistrates Court for the period 1898-1987 (subject to a 30 year closure) are deposited at Wolverhampton Archives. This court covers minor offences and licencing for public houses in Wolverhampton.
Records of Wolverhampton Coroners Court covering inquests for the period 1872-1989 (subject to a 75 year closure) are deposited at Wolverhampton Archives.
A transcription of the section on Wolverhampton from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
'Directory of Wolverhampton, also Bilston, Willenhall & Wednesfield' was published by Joseph Smart, High Street, Wolverhampton, in 1827. Smart was the proprietor and publisher of the Wolverhampton Chronicle.
'Bridgen's Directory of Wolverhampton including Bilston' was published by Joseph Bridgen, Darlington Street, Wolverhampton, in 1833 and 1838.
'Wolverhampton Post Office Directory for 1847, including Bilston' was printed by Joseph Bridgen, Darlington Street, Wolverhampton, in 1847.
'Wolverhampton Post Office Directory for 1849, including Bilston' was printed by G Williams, Temple Street, Wolverhampton, in 1849.
'Melville & Co's Directory of Wolverhampton with Bilston' was published by Melville & Co, in 1851.
'The Trades Directory of Wolverhampton, Wednesfield, Bilston, Willenhall, Sedgley, Tipton, Wednesbury, Darlaston & Moxley' was published by Jones & Co, London, in 1862.
'Hulley's Directory of the Parliamentary Borough of Wolverhampton, which includes Bilston, Sedgley, Wednesfield & Willenhall' was published by J Hulley, Birmingham, in 1874.
'The Wolverhampton District Year Book, Commercial & Trades Directory with Almanack, Diary & General Guide' was published by Edward Bros., Wolverhampton, in 1877.
'Directory of Wolverhampton and Six Miles Round' was published by G Stevens, London, in 1879.
'Crocker's Post Office Wolverhampton and District Directory' was published by The Birmingham Publishing Company, Birmingham, in 1884.
'Barker's Wolverhampton Trade Directory and Guide' was published by JW Barker, Wolverhampton, in 1887.
'The Wolverhampton Red Book and Directory' was published by A Hinde, Wolverhampton for 56 editions in 1892, 1894, 1896, 1897, 1899-1918, 1920-1941, 1942/3, 1951, 1954, 1955, 1956/7, 1958 & 1959/60.
'Spennell's Wolverhampton Directory' was published by P Jones Ltd, Birmingham, in 1921.
'A History of Housing in Wolverhampton, 1750 to 1950'
by George J Barnsby
Published 1976, by Integrated Publishing Services, Wolverhampton.
"A History of Wolverhampton, 985-1985" - A history of Wolverhampton written in 1985 to celebrate the town's millennium by Keith Farley of the University of Wolverhampton.
A transcript of the Wolverhampton Muster Roll, 1539, is held at Wolverhampton Archives.
Wolverhampton Archives holds information relating to the First World War including:
Men Who Served. Biographies of Wolverhampton Soldiers in the First World War.
Wolverhampton Roll of Remembrance 1914-1918.
The War History of the 6th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment.
Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919, Pt 42, South Staffordshire Regiment.
List of Returned Prisoners of War for the Borough of Wolverhampton, 1919.
Wolverhampton Archives holds information relating to the Second World War including:
Wolverhampton Borough Council Register of Bomb Damage 1940-42.
Your Men in Battle. The Story of the Staffordshire Regiment 1939-45.
An index of tenants in the Manor of the Deanery of Wolverhampton, 1663-1765, Surnames L-V only, is held at Wolverhampton Archives.
A list of Wolverhampton Freeholders, 1653, is held at Wolverhampton Archives.
A list of cusomary tenants of the Manor of Stowheath, 1645, is held at Wolverhampton Archives.
A transcript of the Association Oath Roll for Wolverhampton, 1696, is held at Wolverhampton Archives.
'A History of Wolverhampton, Bilston & District Trades Union Council, 1865-1990'
by George J Barnsby
Published 1994, by Wolverhampton, Bilston & District TUC, Wolverhampton.
Wolverhampton Constables' Account Books 1688-1813 and Wolverhampton Police Force records for 1890-1954 are deposited at Wolverhampton Archives.
'Borough Politics, A Study of the Wolverhampton Town Council, 1888-1964'
by George William Jones
Published 1969, by Macmillan, London.
'Story of the Municipal Life of Wolverhampton'
by William Highfield Jones
Published 1903, London.
'Wolverhampton, the Town Commissioners, 1777-1848.
Their Story in the Files of the Wolverhampton Chronicle'
by F. Mason
Published 1978, by Wolverhampton Public Libraries, Wolverhampton.
Wolverhampton Union comprised the four most populous townships of Wolverhampton parish, Bilston, Wednesfield, Willenhall and Wolverhampton. The Union workhouse was erected in 1837 in Bilston Road, with room for 600 inmates. The old parish workhouse stood in Horsley Fields and was later used as a barracks.
A new Union workhouse was opened in Heath Town in 1903 on the site of the present New Cross Hospital.
Wolverhampton Archives holds many records including:
Pre-1834 Parish Records:
Wolverhampton Poor Rate Books, 1791-1828
Wolverhampton Constables Account Books, 1688-1813
Wolverhampton Overseers Accounts, 1832-1833
Poor Relief Ledgers, 1803-1842
Post-1834 Union Records:
Records of the Wolverhampton Poor Law Union, 1839-1930
Wolverhampton Poor Rate Returns, 1857-1910
Out Relief Payment Accounts, 1896-1912
Wolverhampton Returns of Guardians Elected, 1868-1915
Wolverhampton Overseers Minute Books, 1860-1910
Heath Town Overseers Minute Book, 1913-1927
Wolverhampton Archives have placed on line An Index of Wills at Wolverhampton Archives
'The History of Wolverhampton Grammar School'
by Gerald Poynton Mander
Published 1913, by Steens, Wolverhampton.
'Wolverhampton Grammar School Register, 1515-1920'
by HR Thomas & John Ryan
Published 1927, Kendal
'A History of the Royal Wolverhampton School'
by Frederick Leopold Steward
Published 1950, by Steens, Wolverhampton.
[Last updated: 3rd September 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]