"The Parish Church, St Benedict, was built by one of the Priors of Dudley, about 1170, and has a tower surmounted by a beautiful spire. It was repaired and furnished with an organ by Sir Samuel Hellier, Kt, who died in 1792. It was again repaired in 1816, and was enlarged and repewed in 1841. It contains an elegant monument, by Chantrey, in memory of Richard B Marsh, Esq, of Lloyd House, with the figure of Grief weeping over an urn. It has other neat monuments, and a curious old sculpture, illustrative of the parable of the Good Samaritan.
The vicarage, with that of Trysull annexed to it, is in the patronage of certain trustees, and incumbency of the Rev William James Heale, MA. The Rev Robert William Plumptre is the curate.
A Wesleyan chapel was built here in 1850, and there is an Independent Chapel, built in 1821, in Swindon."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]