Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Wichnor (Wychnor), or Whichnour, is a scattered village, township and chapelry, forming the south end of Tatenhill parish, six and a half miles SW of Burton-upon-Trent and the same distance NE of Lichfield. The whole belongs to the lord of the manor, John Levett, Esq, of Wichnor Lodge, a handsome mansion, seated in a beautiful park of 300 acres, on the north bank of the Trent.
The river Trent here runs in two circuitous streams, crossed by a range of noble aquaducts, forming part of the canal, and by a stone bridge, of many arches and culverts, on the Lichfield and Burton road, which latter is the Icknield Street of the Romans. Near the bridge is an iron forge, established about 90 years ago. King James I visited Wichnor, on August 21st, 1621, and held a court at the hall, and he dined there again on August 19th, 1624. The corn mills here were burnt down in 1596."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'The Story of Wychnor. Written for the Schoolchildren of Wychnor'
by Edith Harrison
Published 1934, by AC Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of St Leonard, Wychnor, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Wychnor township was as follows:
1841 -- 155
1851 -- 131
"Wichnor Church, St Leonard, is a small ancient edifice, seated on an eminence betwixt the park and the Trent.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of J Levett, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. John Muckleston."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Leonard, Wychnor, was a chapelry of Tatenhill parish, details of which can be found on the Tatenhill parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Leonard commences in 1731. The original registers for the period 1731-1983 (Bapts), 1731-1983 (Mar) & 1731-1989 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1864 (with gaps 1836-63) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
You can see pictures of Wychnor which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK176162 (Lat/Lon: 52.743118, -1.740741), Wychnor which are provided by:
The chapelry became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.